www.studying-with-children.de         Print     Help     Sitemap     Contact     Search     Studentenwerk Giessen

Home / Financial support / Child benefit

Child benefit / Kindergeld

Entitlement to child benefit starts when your child is born. In accordance with the German Income Tax Act, German nationals are eligible to receive child benefit if they are resident or normally resident in Germany or if they are liable to pay full income tax in Germany or are treated accordingly. People of other nationalities living in Germany can receive child benefit if they are in possession of a valid residence permit. Specific residence permits may also grant entitlement to child benefit. Further information can be obtained from your family insurance provider.

As of 1 March 2020, working students with a residence permit for study purposes are also entitled to so-called family benefits - child benefit, parental benefit, maintenance advance payment - (previously § 16, in future § 16b AufenthG). The previous entitlement of students from the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Turkey, the former Yugoslavia, Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria, which is regulated by intergovernmental agreements, continues to exist regardless of the above-mentioned change.

The leaflets of the employment agency provide more information.

Child benefit since 1 January 2021 Monthly
For the first and second child € 219 each
For the third child € 225
For each additional child € 250

Child benefit, which is paid to you for your child, is not income within the meaning of the Federal Education and Training Assistance Act / BAföG. Student parents receive child benefit from the Family Benefits Office at the Federal Employment Agency / Agentur für Arbeit in Giessen. The Employment Agency in Giessen is also responsible for parents living in Friedberg.

The Federal Ministry of Finance has published information on child benefit in a fact sheet on child benefit (in German only). This leaflet can be obtained from the Family Benefits Office of from the Advice and Service department at Giessen Student Services / Studentenwerk Gießen A.d.ö.R..

Child benefit can be applied for here. Parents can call up their application for child benefit on the website of the Federal Employment Agency, adjust it on screen and forward it online. Applications that are completed online and sent must currently be printed out, signed and sent to the Family Benefits Office.

In Giessen and Friedberg:

Agentur für Arbeit Gießen

Nordanlage 60
D-35390 Gießen
Phone 01801 546337
Fax 0641 9393584

In Fulda:

Familienkasse Hanau

Am Hauptbahnhof 1
D-63450 Hanau
Phone 01801 546337

    •     www.studying-with-children.de     •     Last update: 11.11.2022     •     © Studentenwerk Giessen     •     Legal Notice